Standard Insurance Cover
OnRoads Rentals offer our standard insurance option FREE which is fully comprehensive third-party and public liability cover. An excess applies in the event of an accident – this being damage to an OnRoad Rentals vehicle regardless of whether you are at fault or not, or damage to a third party vehicle caused by an OnRoad Rentals vehicle.
Pleate Note: all hirers must have a credit or debit card in which we will hold the bond as security for the excess during your hire. This excess is held as an authorisation on your card and will be released at the end of your hire. We do not accept cash for the bond. All authorisations held on credit and debit cards are automatically released upon return of the vehicle if no damage or dees are owing on the hire.
OnRoad Rentals Standard Insurance Cover Excess: $2500.00 including GST.
If you are under 21 years of age, or hold any other licence than a full class 1 (car) licence, your Insurance Cover Excess is: $3500.00 including GST.
In New Zealand, it is not compulsory to have insurance so you can be liable for the excess as a result of someone else’s poor driving.
Collision Damage Reduction
OnRoad Rentals offer a collision damage reduction to drivers over 21 years of age with a full class 1 (car) license, this means for an additional cost, you can reduce your excess payable should you have an accident down to either $500.00 or $1000.00. Prices are shown as additional options in all rental vehicle quotations. You can add your preferred cover directly when making an online booking or by phoning us to add this on to your booking. All collision damage reduction options must be added and paid for BEFORE commencement of your hire. We do not offer our collision damage reduction to any drivers under 21 years of age, or who hold any other licence than a full class 1 (car) licence. Regardless of any Collision Damage Reduction taken, the full $2500.00 excess will apply to single vehicle accidents i.e. an accident with no other vehicle involved.
Glass (Windscreen) and Tyre Cover
Any glass damage including stone chips and damage including punctures are not covered under any insurance option offered by OnRoad Rentals.
There are times when you won’t be covered by our insurance and these include (but are not limited to):
- When you drive your rental vehicle on Skippers Canyon Road, Queenstown, Tasman Valley Road, Mt Cook National Park or Ninety-Mile Beach, Northland, Waikaremoana Road, Crown Range Road, and others as directed on the day, or on any unsealed road including any beach
- Damaging the rental vehicle recklessly
- Driving whilst intoxicated or in a rally or other competition
- Allowing unauthorised drivers to use the rental vehicle
- Driving beyond the agreed return time
- To hire our vehicles and be covered by insurance, all you need is a full drivers licence and a credit card for payment.
- You will be charged a standard bond on your supplied credit card.
- Regardless of who is at fault, the excess must be paid.
- Make sure you fit snow chains carefully and perfectly and any other accessories are used perfectly because misuse and damage of these accessories are not covered by insurance.
- If the rental agreement terms and conditions are breached, your insurance may be void.
- Any unreported damage incurs a 10% surcharge.